Monday, March 4, 2013

INSPIRING WORDS---A mod podge tutorial

  
 Well, so much for my plan to not do any projects until I " Decluttered my Life"  . I simply could not refuse this paper when I saw it at my local craft store and it is just perfect for the craft room makeover.    I have always wanted some of the inspiring words to hang on my wall so what better way to use the paper with the beautiful patterns and colors.   

      Would you like to have an inspiring word on your wall?  or need a quick gift for a baby shower or wedding gift?  Let me show you how simple this process is.  Once you do one, you will want to do more.  
I promise, because I'm already planning what I'm going to do next.  I know,  get back to your list of 40 Bags in 40 Days.  I will .... I promise (  he he,  fingers crossed) . 


Supplies you will need:
  1. wooden letters of your choice.  ( I used 5" letters)
  2. Sheets of paper ( I used a different pattern for each letter) 
  3. Sandpaper
  4. Pencil
  5. Scissors
  6. Paint
  7. Foam Brush
  8. Mod Podge ( I used Mat Antique, but you can use the regular Mod Podge.  Either one will work)

      First, I sanded the wood letters just to smooth out any rough edges.  

   Before you paint your letters, turn the letter upside down on the back side of the paper and trace the letters.  Check to make sure to position the letter so that the pattern on your paper is where you want it.




   Then I painted the letters black to cover the unfinished wood plus this will help the color of the paper stand out better and give a more finished look.  ( Sorry I didn't take pictures of this step, but you get the idea )
   I painted the edges and lightly painted the front of the them.  While this is drying, cut the traced letters out , be sure to cut on the inside of the line.

When the paint is dry on your letters, use a sponge brush to apply a light coat of the mod podge on the back of the first paper letter and then position on top of the wood letter. Once you have it positioned like you want it, smooth in place on surface of wood letter. Repeat with each letter.
Let this dry,  then apply a light coat of mod podge on the top of the paper being sure to cover the entire surface.
When the first coat is dry and clear ( 10-20 minutes),  apply another light coat of mod podge to the entire surface.  The depth of color depends on the number of coats you apply.  I used 3 coats total.


    I love the antique mod podge finish.... What do you think?   Oops,  I should have cleaned up my mess..
     
     Hmmm,  I wonder where I'm going to hang them? 

Thanks for stopping by and be sure to come back and check out the progress of the craft room makeover.

 Well, I guess I better get back to decluttering !!!!

Have a Great Day,
Nannie 
  



5 comments:

  1. I like this. Having a new grandson soon, so this may come in handy to decorate nursery. I didn't see a way to sign up for email notifications of your blog. I follow many of the same bloggers that I see you following. Lots of ideas and pretty, organized rooms on those blogs. Good luck on your organization quest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting, a new grandson, Congratulations !! Grandchildren are true blessings... I think these would be so CUTE in a nursery !!! I need to get some made for my little ones rooms..
    I will work on getting my email notifications set up this weekend. ( This newbie is still learning,LOL )
    I need all the luck I can get with the organization quest... to many years of hoarding. LOL
    Thank you for stopping by...Hope you stop by again.
    Have a Great Weekend !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great!! I should be doing "40 bags in 40 days"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Laurel !!! You should join me!!! Feels really good to purdge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH I forgot to tell you Laurel, I LOVE the aqua jars !!!!! and your blog !!!
      Thanks for stopping by ....

      Delete