Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Tasty Tuesday --- Oklahoma Caviar


Oklahoma Caviar





Can you say YUMMY !!!!  

The first time I had this yummy bean dip , I couldn’t stop eating it.  Seriously,  I had to slap my hands to stop…..
I thought I need to make this at home,  the family will LOVE it…
and as always.. Momma was right…..
 It was a HIT !!!!

What I like is that you can make it as spicy as you want, if you like it HOT,  just add more jalapenos.  
This allows you to adapt it to your guest.

Oklahoma Caviar
1 med onion
2 jalapeno peppers
3 green onions
2 tomatoes
1/3 tsp minced garlic
1 can golden hominy ( drained)
2 cans black-eyed peas ( drained)
1 bottle of Italian dressing
cilantro(chopped)
lime ( optional)
salt and pepper to taste

oops, forgot the cilantro and lime in the picture


Simple steps



Chop the onions.  (  oh the tears.....) , tomatoes, cilantro and jalapenos.  I took the seeds out of the jalapenos, if you like it HOT then you can leave some of the seeds.
Mince the garlic.
Toss all of these ingredients into a bowl. 
Drain the hominy and black eyed peas, then add to the bowl.
Pour the Italian Dressing on all of the ingredients.


Mix well.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Optional:  cut a lime in half and squeeze juice in.




Best if chilled for a couple of hours to let it marinate, but at my house it never gets the chance.  You'll see why when you try this.  Serve with chips ( tortilla or Frito chips )

You don't have to be from Oklahoma to love this.
Try it and let me know if you have trouble eating just one bite......

Note:  
You can substitute black beans for the black eyed peas if you prefer or corn for the hominy.
Hand chop the ingredients, this dip is all about the texture.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! That sounds good and refreshing! Thanks for sharing and Happy Easter! xx Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Holly, I hope you and your family had a great Easter !!
      Let me know how the caviar turns out for ya !!

      Delete